With litter clean-up, recycling, and a free bike valet, 80/35 Music Festival has always been environmentally conscious. For the 10th anniversary, we’re adding composting to reduce unnecessary waste and to practice increasing mindfulness of our ecological footprint! The average American tosses 1,200 lbs. of compostable waste into the landfill each year and as a country, we generate up to 400 million tons of garbage each year. These numbers need to be reduced in order for our collective lifestyle to be sustainable and 80/35 wants to raise awareness of this issue!
Incorporated into the Community Village and live art of 80/35 2017 will be an environmentally conscious art installation created primarily out of recyclable materials. We are now accepting proposal submissions from individuals or groups (youth organizations, nonprofits, environmental rights groups, etc.) through Sunday, June 11 at 11:59pm. Please read the details below and submit your exciting ideas before the deadline!
- Proposal must include rough sketches, photographs, and/or a detailed description to convey your concept
- At least 75% of project materials must be sourced from recyclables e.g. paper, plastic, aluminum, cardboard, etc. and those materials must be collected prior to the festival
- The selected artist/organization will be offered up to 20x15ft space to create the installation
- The project must be primarily constructed on site anytime during festival hours on Friday, July 7 from 4:00-10:00pm and Saturday, July 8 from 11:00am-10:00pm
- By choice of the artist, the installation may be sold via live auction on site (100% profit to the artist) or deconstructed after the festival. The project and materials must be completely removed by the artist from festival grounds by Sunday, July 9 at 11am – recycling and volunteers are available on site!
- The selected project will be awarded at least $250 after project completion to help offset costs for labor and any additional materials. Depending on the project, more funds may be available.
- The selected project will also be provided festival passes each day for up to 10 artists/volunteers (access to the main stage!)
- Submissions are due Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 11:59pm CST. Only one installation proposal will be selected; all artists/organizations will be notified of acceptance on Monday, June 12th.